Dr V.M. Ananthanarayanan, M.A., M.Phil.,Ph.D.,
Department of Sanskrit
Contact No: 9443910769 & 9597694591
Sanskrit is one of the few departments that came up at the advent of the College in 1919. Brahmasri K.R. Anantharama Sastrigal headed the Department. A stalwart in the field, he contributed in original to the language and literature. His Suptiganta bodhini is one such work which deals with the word formation in Sanskrit language. He was in service of the College up to 1926.
Sri R. Vasudeva Sarma, M.A., B.L., though a lawer by profession, took to Sanskrit teaching. He was known for his erudition in Tamil, English and French, apart from Sanskrit. He rendered Sanskrit and Tamil classics in English. He also translated some French works into Tamil. He was in service between 1st of July 1929 and 14th of April 1937. His premature demise was a loss to the Sanskrit field. Till July 1939, the vacancy in the Sanskrit Department was not filled up. It is a matter of pride that Principal V. Saranathan handled Sanskrit classes along with Sri M.K. Venkataraman, of the Department of Philosophy, who later became the Principal of the College. In those days, people serving in one faculty were well-versed in the other faculties also. And they were adept in several languages.
The winner of Prince of Wales Gold Medal for his profound scholarship in Sanskrit, Sri T.K. Pancahapagesan, joined the Department on 5th July 1939, as the Tutor and Head of the Department. He became the Assistant Lecturer on 1st June 1943 and Lecturer on 1st June 1946. He was awarded gold medal by the management, in the Goldern Jubilee Celebrations of the College held in 1970.
Sri V.S.V. Patrachariar joined the faculty in 1940, to assist him. Since the number of Sanskrit students were nearly 140, Principal Saranathan divided the Junior intermediate into two sections. It continued till the introduction of Pre University Course (PUC) in 1956. Sanskrit was handled as the Part III Language from that year. Sanskrit was affiliated as Part III Language by the University of Madras, when PUC came into force. Sri V.S.V. Patrachariar retired on 1st June 1957.
Following him, Sri S. Parthasarathy, was appointed as the lecturer in July 1957, to assist Sri T.K. Panchapagesan. SP Sir, as he is popularly known, was a bhagavata. He conducted religious discourses in and around Srirangam. He was a philanthropist. Apart from monetary assistance to the needy, he used to support the students in paying fees and sustenance. His wife Mrs. Sulochana Parthasarathy, donated his entire collection of books to Srimad Andavan Ashramam, Neyveli. Sri SP retired in May 1987 and reached the lotus feet of the Lord in a couple of months after his retirement.
The retirement vacancy saw Sri V. M. Ananthanarayanan, as the Assistant Professor in Sanskrit at the Department. He was appointed on 21st January 1988. The student strength was not that convincing at the beginning. It dwindled from 23 to two and three in 2000. The department was to be closed in 2004, but for the benevolence of the present Secretary of the College Management. Several colleges and schools, remaining under a single banner, were trifurcated. National College and Sri Sesha Iyengar Memorial Higher Secondary School came under one roof. Shri K. Raghunathan, assumed his office as the Secretary of the College Management. The college which was waning to the new moon all these years, started waxing. It was rejuvenation. The Secretary enlivened the Department. The Department initiated Endowments for the award of prizes to the successful students. Three endowments were created:
1. Prof. S. Parthasarathy Iyengar Endowment Prize for the best outgoing Undergraduate Student who has taken Sanskrit as Part I Language, (created in the name of former Professor of Sanskrit Late Sri S. Parthasarathy Iyengar, by Dr V.M. Ananthanarayanan, Department of Sanskrit)
2. Vidyasevaratnam K. Santhanam Endowment Prize for the best outgoing undergraduate student who has taken Sanskrit as Part I Language in the unaided stream. (created in the name of the former Secretary of the College Committee, by Dr V.M. Ananthanarayanan, Department of Sanskrit
3. Sri Prajnanendra Saraswati Endowment Prize for the best outgoing undergraduate student.(created jointly by Dr V.M. Ananthanarayanan, Deparment of Sanskrit and Dr V. Kamakoti, Department of Computer Sciences and Engineering, IIT Madras).
4. Sri. Haran’s prize for the best outgoing student of B.Sc., Mathematics with Sanskrit as Part I Language (from another endowment of the same name)
The concept of Swacch Bharat was introduced in the Department, much earlier to the scheme launched by the Centre. The Department is a litter-free zone, with the cooperation and assistance of the students.
The College runs a universal-prayer song for 45 seconds, in Sanskrit, every morning before the commencement of the classes.
1. Certificate of Merit in the Akashvani Annual Awards, for being the Member of the Production Team in the production of “Amarasandesa”, a Radio Documentary in Sanskrit, Akashvani Madras Kendra, 2005.
1. On the five definitions of mithyātva, The Voice of Sankara, Chennai, Vol.33, No. 2, 2008.
2. Theories of Causation, The Voice of Śańkara, Chennai, Vol.34, No. 1 & 2, 2009.
3. On the Relative Merits of Perception and Inference, The Voice of Sankara,Chennai, Vol.35, No.1, 2010.
4. Perception: Its nature according to Advaita, The Voice of Sankara, Chennai,Vol.35, No.2, 2010.
1. Anangavijayabhāna of Jagannātha, - A Critical Edition and Study, Series No.242, Thanjavur Maharaja Serfoji’s Sarasvati Mahal Library, Thanjavur 613009, 1986.
2. Mallikāmāruta of Uddanďa – A Critical Edition and Study, Thanjavur Maharaja Serfoji’s Sarasvati Mahal Library Series No.491, Thanjavur 613009, 2006.
3. Kşattracūďāmaņi of Vādibhasimha, (in two volumes) A Critical Edition and Study, Pub: Thanjavur Maharaja Serfoji’s Sarasvati Mahal Library Series No.527 & 528, Thanjavur 613009, 2009 (co-authored).
4. On Perception, Publisher: Sri Adi Sankara Advaita Research Centre, Chennai,2013.
5. Kārtavīryārjuna-upāsanā-paddhati, A Critical Edition with an introduction in Tamil, Thanjavur Maharaja Serfoji’s Sarasvati Mahal Library, Thanjavur 613009.
1. Five Manual of Advaita, A Critical Edition with Introduction and Translation, Thanjavur Maharaja Serfoji’s Sarasvati Mahal Library, Thanjavur, 613009.
International Journal of Health, Fitness and Sports Sciences, (ISSN:2320-5202), Pub: Department of Physical Education, National College, Tiruchirapalli 620001.
1. UGC Sponsored Refresher Course in Tamil Grammar in the Back-ground of Indian Grammars, Department of Tamil Literature, Tamil University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, on 10th October 2000.
2. UGC Sponsored Refresher Course in Modern Indian Lanugages, Literatures, Grammars and Teaching, School of Indian Lanugages, Tamil University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, on 21st March 2002.
3. Non-formal Sanskrit Education (Spoken Sanskrit Classes), at Mahatma Gandhi Centenary Vidyalaya, Tennur, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu, sponsored by Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, Ministry of Human Resources Development, New Delhi, from 5th January 2004 to 5th March 2004.
4. Three Weeks training course on “Grantha Manuscripts”, conducted by Thanjavur Maharaja Serfoji’s Sarasvati Mahal Library, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu for a day (Course period: 20th Apr 2001 to 11th May 2001).
5. Short-term Course on Grantha Script, conducted by Thanjavur Maharaja Serfoji’s Sarasvati Mahal Library, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu on 25th Aug 2002(Course period: 10th Aug 2002 to 2nd Sep 2002)
6. UGC Sponsored Refresher Course on Varieties in Indian Literature, School of Indian Languages, conducted by Tamil University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, on 11th Oct 2004.
7. National Workshop on Purvamimamsa, Department of Sanskrit, School of Humanities, Pondicherry University, Bi-decennial Celebrations, from 9th To 13th October 2006.
8.Visiting Fellow at the Department of Studies in Sanskrit, Karnataka University, Dharwad, Karnataka, to deliver lectures on Ancient Hindu Law and Administration in Bodhayanadharmasutra, on 20th & 21st of Nov.2006, under the UGC/SAP/DSA/phase III Programme in Sanskrit.
9.Invited to deliver a lecture on Baudhayanadharmasutra in the Veda Sivagama Samskrita Saiva Tamil Conference & Convocation at Srimath Srikantha Sivacharya Vedasivagama Vidyapeetam, Samskrita Vikasa Kendram, Karaikal 609605, on 6th January 2007.
Visit of Srimad Andavan Arts & Science College, Tiruchirapalli, Tamilnadu, for granting of provisional affiliation to M.A. Sanskrit (Day) Course on 4th June 2002 and 25th Nov. 2002.
Recognized as the Research Adviser by the Bharathidasan University, for the Ph.D. Programme (Ref. No.023003/Ph.D2/Sanskrit/Recog/2011 dated 14.7.2011)
Member, Doctoral Committee in Sanskrit, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli 620014.
1. Member, Board of Studies in Sanskrit, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu, from Oct. 1996 to Oct. 1999,From Oct 1999 to Oct 2002, From Oct.2008 to till date.
2. Member, Board of Studies in Sanskrit, Pondicherry University, Puduchery, from July 2003 to June 2006.
3. Member, Preparation of Study material for B.A. Sanskrit, Directorate of Distance Education, Pondicherry University, Puduchery.
4.Member, Board of Studies, School of Indian Languages, Tamil University,Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu (Vide letter e.f.vz; 3921/f/2011/ehs; 22.04.2011 From the Registrar, Tamil University)
5. Chairman, Board of Studies in Sanskrit and Standing Committee on Academic Affairs, Bharathidasan University, Triuchirapalli (March 2013 to 2016)
6. Member, Board of Studies in Department of Performing Arts, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli 620001.
Chairman, Board of Examiners in Sanskrit (UG), Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli.
Member, Board of Examiners in Sanskrit, Pondicherry University, Puduchery.
1. Undergraduate Sanskrit, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli, Tamil Nadu.
2. M.Phil. Dissertations, Bharathidasan University and Pondicherry University, Pondicherry.
3. Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission, Oct.1998.
4. Member, Interview committee, Kendriya Vidyalaya (No.1), Ordnance Estate, Tiruchirapalli for the recruitment of teachers on 14th July 2004..
5. Member, Board of Examiners in Sanskrit, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry 605014
Contact : 9443910769 & 9597694591
E-Mail : email@example.com
© 2020 Copyright National College, Trichy
Designed & Developed By : RM Soft System