The Crest, the Motto as well as the Verse from Thirukkural, which adorn and express our lives here, but indicate in a large measure what the College represents.
The quotation from Thirukkural reads :
வெள்ளத் தனைய மலர்நீட்டம் மாந்தர்தம்
உள்ளத் தனையது உயர்வு.
From deep pools rise the long-stalked flowers,
So rise from depth of soul men’s powers.
And the Verse containing the Motto thus:
“Saa Vidyaa Yaa Vimukthayea”
(That alone is knowledge which liberates)
The Crest shows the Sun rising above the waters and helping the Lotus to blossom. The Sun and the Lotus are mystic symbols in our faith, associated with different methods of God-realisation.
All the three, the Crest, the Motto and the Verse from Thirukkural stress the basis of religion for true education. All the best tenets of our religion are implied in these: fearlessness, non-violence, pursuit of Truth, tolerance, and the genius of assimilation.
To offer quality Higher Education to the younger generations, especially from rural India, who are economically and socially backward, to liberate themselves from prejudice, oppression and ignorance and to gain knowledge for their bright future.
To ignite the young minds with lofty ideals and inspire them to achieve excellence in the chosen field.
To facilitate individual growth of students, with accent on character building, through co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
To encourage the students to take-up research and help them reach global
To provide a congenial atmosphere to study and learn, with infrastructural facilities of highest order.
To instil in the minds of the students, the sense of Nationalism and to train them in social awareness.
National College, Tiruchirapalli was founded in June, 1919, thanks to the munificence of the late Diwan Bahadur S. Rm. CT. Pethachi Chettiar, Zamindar of Andipatti and the collective initiative and zeal of Justice T.V. Seshagiri Iyer, Sir. T. Desikachariar, N. D. Subbarama Iyer and Sri. Sivarama Krishna Iyer and a galaxy of eminent personalities.
The College functioned at the old Teppakulam campus for nearly four decades from 1919. The shifting of the College campus from Teppakulam to the Present Campus began with the acquisition of land in 1957-58. Forty years after its inception, on 8th July 1959, the College was shifted to the new buildings within easy reach from the Railway Junction on the Tiruchirappalli - Dindigul Road.
The founders conceived the idea of a National Institution to promote among its youth the highest and the loftiest ideals which constitute the essence of Indian Culture and Nationalism. True to its name, National College continues to impart cultural values and fulfil its role as one of the premiere nation-building institutions of the country. Under the stewardship of eminent scholars and administrators as its Principals, the tallest among them being the late Prof. Shri. V. Saranathan. The college has grown to become a seat of Higher Education and has earned a reputation for high moral standards.
Golden Jubilee year was celebrated in 1969 under the President ship of Shri. N. N. Ramanatha Iyer. As a mark of Golden Jubilee celebration, a building was constructed and christened as Golden Jubilee Block.
The college had the privilege of celebrating its Diamond Jubilee during the year 1980-81, under the President ship of Hon’ble Shri. R.Venkataraman, the most distinguished alumnus and the then Minister for Finance, Government of India. He later became the President of Republic of India. To mark the occasion, a block named ‘Principal Saranathan Block’ was built. The college fondly remembered with gratitude its principal architect and paid rich encomiums to its glorious line of teachers.
The celebration of the Platinum Jubilee in February 1995 under the President ship of Dr. V. R. Muthukararuppan, the Esteemed Vice-Chancellor of Bharathidasan University then, was an important event to commemorate the remarkable services of the institution to the underprivileged sections of the society.
National Evening College, was started in the year 1978 to cater to the rising demands of a new generation of students. Many new courses were introduced and the student population became a fair mix of rural and urban students. The IT revolution brought forth unforeseen changes in curriculum designing and in course content. The ‘Evening College’ was rechristened as ‘Unaided Programmes’ from the academic year 2005-06 and they co-exist with the aided programmes. Continuing to respond to its social commitment and the Nation’s call for the opening of the portals of higher education to girls, the college introduced Co-Education pattern from the academic year 2007.
The College was accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) at ‘A’ Level in the first cycle (2005) and ‘A+” in the third cycle (2016) with 3.61 CGPA. The University Grants Commission, New Delhi, conferred Autonomous status on the college in 2010 and conferred the privilege of “College with Potential for Excellence” status, in the year 2011. The MHRD, Government of India has identified the college for Study in India (SII) Programme, to admit foreign students in various academic programmes.
Dr V. Krishnamurthy Educational Foundation, a registered society, is the managing parent agency for all these institutions. The College is managed by a Committee consisting of fourteen members with Dr V. Krishnamurthy as its President and Sri K. Raghunathan as its Secretary.
The management of the college, under the banner of Dr. Kalamegham Centre for Studies on Indian Culture and Heritage, initiated a Vedic School in February 2017 – Sri Sarguneswarar Vedha Padasala. Situated inside the college campus, it is a residential traditional learning hub.
As on date, the college offers 19 Post-Graduate Programmes and 20 Under-Graduate Programmes, spreading over Arts, Commerce, Science and Sports disciplines along with part –time and job oriented courses. Truly the College has been recognized as one of the Centre of Advanced Learning and has been accorded permission for registering candidates for research leading to the award of Ph.D. and M.Phil. in 14 Departments.
The College just traversed past its Centenary Year mark. The yearlong celebrations with a variety of academic, sports and cultural events culminated with the visit of Hon. Shri. M. Venkaiah Naidu, Vice President of India. The College has with it a greatest asset of 250 plus highly qualified and dedicated Teaching faculty and around 100 Non-teaching and support staff. They render their service to around 5000 students on roll. The journey continues with relentless vigor keeping the mission and vision clear with the embellishment of present day requirements.
© 2020 Copyright National College, Trichy
Designed & Developed By : RM Soft System